Information About Internship
Everybody is after getting accepted at a good company to do internship. They are working hard to write an effective resume, and get interviews. But, why? Why should you do an internship instead of going on a holiday? Is doing an Internship really all that important?
Internships are a proven way to gain relevant knowledge, skills, and experience while establishing important connections in the field. Internships are also a way to get your feet wet and find out if a specific field is something you could see yourself doing as a full-time job. By doing a great job and completing more than what is required of you in your internship, you will be creating a great impression that can provide a great reference letter at the least and may even potentially lead to a potential job offer.
- See internship as an opportunity to improve yourself, take it seriously, and be willing to take responsibility.
- Choose your field of internship carefully. Identify your interests, strengths, and your desires first. If possible, do internship at different departments in order to get a clear understanding of your abilities.
- Act professionally and respectfully. Address your supervisor or manager as “Mr.” or “Mrs.” unless asked otherwise.
- Make sure you leave your internship with new skills; get as much information as possible about the sector, how things are handled by the company, workload of different departments, corporate culture, etc.
- Try to make a lasting impression on the employer and the employees, leave with tangible accomplishments.
- Be a good observant. Pay close attention to how others speak on the phone, communicate with each other.
- Take the opportunity to talk to employees doing your dream job, benefit from their experiences.
- Build professional relationships with your supervisor(s) and other managers in the organization and keep in touch with them.
- Make your supervisor, manager, and HR understand you want to work for them, and Show off your skills and knowledge.
- Take advantage of job and career fairs to scout possible internship opportunities. This will give you a chance to know future companies and understand your career goals.
- Keep in touch with key coworkers from your internship.
- Do not wait for the last minute to apply for internship. Some companies accept applications like in January-February for summer internship.